Million Dollars Night View
Posted on 24 November 2011
Travel date: 3 November 2010
Location: Mt Maya, Kobe
Standing on Kikuseidai (掬星台) of Mt Maya, this is one of the top three Japan’s million dollars night views, overseeing the bays from Osaka to Kobe. Had an amazing time watching dozens of city lights started to blink as the sun goes down, and the sky turns dark.
- Regarding the naming of Kikuseidai, which can be translated to “a hill （台） where one could scoop up (掬う) a handful of stars （星）”, thus the walking path up here is decorated with glowing in the dark stuff. Lovely!
- A tripod would be really helpful when taking night photos. Me didn’t have one. ;(
- Very cold and windy in autumn. My fingers were basically all numbed after standing in the open area for an hour or so.
- Be sure to check the Kobe Maya Cablecar & Ropeway running schedule as they tend to close for maintenance or open for extended hours quite irregularly.
- A round trip to Mt Maya cable car & ropeway ticket costs 1500Y. (2010)
- Get there before sunset! :D
How To Get There
- From the main station in Kobe, the Sannomiya station (三ノ宮駅), look for Sannomiya Bus Terminal (三宮ターミナル), it’s attached to the train station
- Take Kobe City Bus #18 from Sannomiya Bus Terminal, get off at Maya Cable Shita stop (摩耶ケーブル下), the bus ride takes about 20min
- Follow the crowd and you’ll get to the cable car ticket counter!
Related: Full itinerary of this trip